Change Size of Photos Uploaded?

May 16, 2009 at 5:50 AM

Is there a way to change the size of the photos uploaded into facebook? The flickr plugin seems to publish the full size, but the live upload tool does not :(

Coordinator
May 19, 2009 at 2:24 AM

Facebook does not allow uploaded pictures to be larger than 604 pixels. So, before uploading, the photos are scaled down to a maximum dimension of 604 pixels to save time and bandwidth (smaller pictures = faster upload).

Are your pictures any smaller than 604 pixels? (You can right-click on a picture on Facebook and choose Properties to see its dimensions). If they are, then it could indicate a problem with the plug-in.

If you'd like to share your pictures at full resolution, you will need to use Flickr or another photo service instead of Facebook. Thanks for using LiveUpload to Facebook, please let me know if you have any other problems.

-Will

May 19, 2009 at 2:47 AM

What i noticed that time though was that If i upload using facebook's uploader, it saves it at a higher resolution that the one that goes through the Live Uploader though. That was what happened when I uploaded from my netbook. But now, when i try with my my desktop machine, it seems to work fine. I'll check again later, if it still does the same thing.

May 19, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Yep, it only seems to happen when i'm on my netbook o_O the resolution becomes 256x171. But when i'm publishing using my lenovo W500, it seems to work okay publising at 592x453. Both are running Win7 RC. Any clue as to what's going on?

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:21 AM

This is also happening with me - it did not happen on Win7 beta, but it is happening on Win7RC.  My pictures are high resolution - but when we uploaded via facebook, it uploads at a lower (but still high) resolution.  Using the liveupload plugin, it downsizes the pictures to be very small.  Any fix for this, love the plugin with gallery.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Similar situation.   I was getting some weird log-in behavior with Win7 Beta (it wasn't remembering my facebook account & I had to add it new each upload).

Now that I've upgraded to RC, fortunately this behavior is gone.   However, now the max resoloution I can upload is 256x171.  I can't seem to find any options in facebook or in WLPG to modify this.  Photos really don't look very nice in 256x171 :(.   Any ideas for a fix or work around would be appreciated.

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:07 PM

I'm also experiencing these issues using Windows 7 RC.  Please fix!  (This plugin is fantastic!)

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Me too on Win7 RC!  (I really want this to work!)

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Same problem here and i'm on win7 RC as well.  I love this plugin so I sure hope its an easy fix :)

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Same problem all uploaded pictures are terribly small 256x171 sounds about right

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:24 PM

+1...  Also on Win7 RC Build 7001...  Strange

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:38 AM

I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this issue. I thought something was wrong with my machine and I was going crazy. Please let us know when a fix is available. thanks

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:07 AM

oh p.s. I'm also using windows 7 RC (version 7100)

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2009 at 2:49 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce this issue on my VM running Win7 so I can't tell exactly whats causing it. I'm talking to the Windows Live Photo Gallery developers and hope to figure this out soon because it seems like it might be a bug in Photo Gallery's automatic resizing. I'll keep you updated on any fixes.

-Will

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Has there been any update on this? I am having the same problem. I am running Windows 7 RC as well.

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM
nope, I think it's the same problem.
I found that if I use windows vista in a virtual machine that it works....
I hope an update comes out soon

Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2009 12:34 PM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Change Size of Photos Uploaded? [liveuploadfacebook:56508]

Has there been any update on this? I am having the same problem. I am running Windows 7 RC as well.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:12 AM

I am also getting this on my Win7 RC, and I have a debugger :)

It does indeed look like a bug in WLPG, or a called library.  I only debugged the plug-in code itself, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong.  What I've noticed is that if the image's size is < MaxWidth/Height, the max actually used is 256.  The "solution" is to use a large value for MaxWidth/Height.  Modifying ConfigurationSettings.Publish to set those values to the max of all the images' dimensions results in correct display on Facebook, but obviously slows down the upload.

It's probably safe to assume that this'll be fixed for RTM (or the next version of WLPG, depending on where the bug actually is), so I dunno if it's worth trying to change anything in the current plug-in version.

I'm a bit bummed that plug-ins don't have more direct access to the images themselves in the plug-in API.  The whole xml interface is bizarre, too.  Oh, well.  It's still a heck of a lot better than using Facebook's tool, which doesn't even recognize network paths, and otherwise I'm extremely pleased with this project.  Bravo.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:46 AM

Oops, just saw that this was all figured out already in the issue tracker.  The patch mentioned there is pretty much what I did.  Also looks like RTM fixes it for good.  Cool!

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Hi,

I found that Facebook has increase the image maximum dimension to 720 pixels, but Facebook LiveUpload is still using the old dimension. Is it possible to allow LiveUpload to have image upload dimension up to 720 pixels? Really appreciate if possible :)

Regards,

Teng Foung

Coordinator
Mar 27, 2010 at 5:33 AM

I've updated the maximum photo dimension to be 720px in the latest version, LiveUpload to Facebook 3.2. Please download it and install to start uploading pictures at 720px.

You can find the download page here.

Mar 27, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Hi DuFF,

Thanks a lot for the changes! It helped me a lot.. J

Regards,

Teng Foung

Sent: Saturday, 27 March, 2010 12:34 PM
To: cheah_yuin26@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Change Size of Photos Uploaded? [liveuploadfacebook:56508]

I've updated the maximum photo dimension to be 720px in the latest version, LiveUpload to Facebook 3.2. Please download it and install to start uploading pictures at 720px.

You can find the download page here.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (liveuploadfacebook@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email liveuploadfacebook@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

May 15, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Hi Duff,

Since 2010, Facebook has changed again its max size (not sure what the actual max size is, at least 960px).

So I was just thinking that the most convenient way to deal with theses changes would be to allow a way to optionnaly change this setting, either via a config file, the persistent XML (not very convenient for tweaking as it would require the plugin to expose it in the Configuration form), or better yet via a key in the registry.

One other advantage of this would be to allow the user to send his images non resized which would allow the facebook users to download the hi-res image.

What do you think of this ?